PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE
Established in 1913, and located, until 1972, at the old Alpha Borough Town Hall, the Alpha Volunteer Fire Company has grown and undergone many changes over the years to ensure the safety of not only it’s residents, but also that of neighboring areas, through the construct of mutual aid agreements with other fire departments including; Pohatcong township, Phillipsburg, Lopatcong township, and Holland township. The technological changes that have continually redefined the rolls that the fire company has played, has helped it to expand it’s initial mandate and offer ever- greater levels of protection and reassurance to the borough of Alpha and beyond.
Initially formed as an independent “company,” rather than a department of the town government, the AVFC was forged and honed by the amazing individuals that came together. The zenith of that hard work and dedication was the 1972 construction of the current firehouse location at 1109 Lee Avenue. This amazing structure was completely funded and built through the donations of the public and the firemen who worked tirelessly to physically build it. Since that time, the fire house has been maintained by successive generations of men and women who have proudly called it their second home and donated countless hours of their private lives to ensure the safety of the town. The borough of Alpha has taken on a greater supporting role, since those early years, ensuring the fire company has the equipment and technology needed to help keep the citizens of Alpha stay safe. AVFC is ever- grateful of the support and dedication showed by the Borough of Alpha and her citizens, that help to keep the station vigilant.